Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Research- Part 1

     Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog. I am going to further continue to talk about what my plans and my research is for the project. Right now I am still in the process of searching for the perfect topic/idea for what my film opening will be. I have fully committed to continuing the genre horror as I believe it truly fits the film opening I want to create. I will confirm with my teacher about my selection of this genre and listen to her thoughts. As of now, I have researched the genre of this genre and found many movies in the horror genre that are very popular. Many movies such as Halloween (1978), The Conjuring (2013),  Get Out (2017) have all been very successful in their respective time periods. The horror genre has always created one of the best film openings out of all other genres for example The Conjuring (2013) is a great example.

 Image result for the conjuring

    The Conjuring is a horror film about this inanimate doll who has supernatural powers and is possessed by a 7-year-old girl who has died in the apartment these two girls were staying at. The little girl was named Anabelle and all she wanted to do was be with the girls, so the girls believed it was okay to allow the so-called spirit of Anabelle in the doll. Later they realize by the main protagonists that they in fact did not let the spirit of Anabelle into the doll but they actually let an inhumane spirit, otherwise known as a demon, into their home. In this film opening, we can see a glimpse of what the entire movie will consist of and have an entire background of how the demon had entered the house. It is very impressive because at the same time it introducing the main protagonists of the film and why they are going to help the girls with the demon. The theme can be easily portrayed in this film opening and this usage of fear elements makes the opening more intriguing and makes the audience want to watch the entire film. 

    This film has inspired me a lot because of the way James Wan utilized camera shots, angles, lighting, and sound. The amounts of techniques that James Wan uses in the film opening is very impressive, he begins at first with a two-shot, then uses various close-ups, tilts, pans, and jumps cuts. All of these techniques all work in harmony, none of the scenes seem out of place and they all compliment the other very well. What James Wan utilized greatly is the lighting and sound. In the opening the there is a part where both ladies arrive from hanging out in their apartment and they find the doll let in the middle of the hallway and James Wan uses the low key lighting to really create that sensation of this mysterious demonic doll. This film opening has tremendously inspired me when planning out my film opening because the way that James Wan used the camera to film his opening is the exact way I picture myself filming my film opening. 

    A very impressive part of The Conjuring was the way James Wan plot was developed through the opening. The plot of the movie was fairly simple the main characters arrived at the apartment of these two ladies and are trying to get rid of this demonic spirit that is haunting the ladies. Although this seems fairly simple James Wan as well adds a background story on how the demonic spirit got into their home and how the death of the 7-year-old was the reason why the ladies let the spirit in. This is very difficult as James Wan could have easily got caught up in the background story and completely went in a different direction but instead, he perfectly blended a good amount of dialogue with a good amount of action. Once this plot was created his main characters and the other characters just fell into place and the entire plot was created. This is what I want for my film opening, as I want to really focus and put a lot of emphasis on the content and scenes, and not let the characters of the film overpower the film opening.

    My idea in my film opening is to create something that contains the supernatural but keeps it fairly simple like The Conjuring. I would like to continue with supernatural as that topic in the horror genre never seems to fail and always tends to be the most popular in this genre. This helps attract the audience as many people are very attracted to figuring out the unknown or knowing more about the unknown. Also, The Conjuring got an 86% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, 4/5 on Empire, 7.5/10 on IMDb, and grossed around $137 million. This film became so famous it started off the universe known as Conjuring Universe. This is like the Marvel Cinematic Universe where all the movies connect but instead for horror movies. Many of these horror supernatural films are still being made such as The Curse of La Llorona (2019) and Anabelle Comes Home  (2019). The trend of these supernatural horror films does not seem to be declining anytime soon and a new Conjuring film called The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It is coming out on June 4, 2021.

 Image result for the curse of la lloronaImage result for annabelle comes homeImage result for the conjuring the devil made me do it

    I believe that I will continue with the topic of the supernatural as there seems to be a very uphill trend with the audience nowadays which love the supernatural. I will continue to conduct further research on the ideas of my film opening and I will inform you all. Bye, see you all in the next blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Actual Film Opening

 It was a great feeling finally being able to finish this film opening I had a lot of fun and am glad to have gone through this experience. ...