Sunday, February 21, 2021

Research- Part 4

    Welcome back everyone, today we are back with some more research on my film project. I have come up with many ideas and I believe I am going to make a Slasher horror film rather than a Supernatural one. I was looking over the film opening clips and I feel as if the Slasher horror film has more versatility than the Supernatural horror film opening. With that being said I have done some research in the aspects of costuming options, location scouting, and target audience. 

    Costuming options is very important when it comes to horror films because of the antagonists or in this case, the slasher does not provoke any fear then film opening won't be as interesting as it would be. Some exceptional movie costumes for slasher films have to be Friday the 13th, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw, Scream, and Happy Death Day. These films all have great costume designs and what really stands out about their costumes is the mask. Every single one of these movies is globally known for its masks, especially Friday the 13th and Halloween. This mask has brought a lot of popularity to their respective franchises. The masks are very important in a slasher even though there has been a lot of slashers without masks the most iconic and famous slasher films have masks, and I intend to follow this trend.  

Image result for jason voorheesImage result for screamImage result for happy death dayImage result for leatherfaceImage result for Michael Myers

    The location of these slasher films tends to all be usually in the same location, except for Friday the 13th and Happy Death Day, which is the home of people. This location brings a lot of fear to people because when they believe they are safe in their own homes and chances of being killed would be less. These films create that changed feeling to a more insecure about their homes and really frighten people because they thought their own house was in fact very safe. Although Friday the 13th and Happy Death Day do not take place at the victim's house, it is where the victim feels safe. For example, on Friday the 13th takes place in a camp called Camp Crystal Lake. In this movie, many of the victims that are killed are killed in their own little house which they are staying in for the camp. In Happy Death Day the main protagonist always begins in the dorm room of her college and for the first few times she is killed in the dorm but then it changes to more of a public area. Although these films do not necessarily always take place in a house they do take place in areas where many people would consider themselves to be safe. This in turn creates the sensation of fear because it makes people think if there is anywhere where they are safe. I believe I am going to continue with the trend of taking place in a house as I believe it would benefit myself and create that fear aspect that I want in my film.
Image result for location of Halloween 1978
Halloween 1978

Image result for camp crystal lake
Friday The 13th

Image result for location of texas chainsaw massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 

Image result for location of film opening of Scream,
Scream 

Image result for Loyoal university
Happy Death Day 

    My film opening will have a target audience from 13- 24 years because this is the target range where many people go to view these horror films. This target age is ideal because many people in this range want to feel the thrill of being scared and what the adrenaline to circulate around them, while any age group older might still watch it won't be as consistent as this target audience. Also, there won't be much of the audience younger than 13 because they might not want to watch the film because they are scared or because of parental guidance. While the rating for the movies like Halloween, Friday The 13th, and Scream were rated R back then most horror films nowadays like Happy Death Day are now moving towards the PG-13 age group. I will continue with this PG-13 age group because I believe it will be successful for my film opening and will have a broader range of people rather than people who are 18 years or older.

    Throughout my research, I have concluded the location, the costuming option, and the target audience for my film opening. My film opening will most likely be taken in someone's home and the slasher will most likely wear a mask of some sort to represent himself. The one thing that is a certainty is that the film opening will be targeted to the audience of 13-24 and will be rated PG-13. I will continue to further research these topics and figure out what will benefit my film opening. I also will continue to notify you of all on my journey. Stay safe and I will see you all in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Actual Film Opening

 It was a great feeling finally being able to finish this film opening I had a lot of fun and am glad to have gone through this experience. ...